Happy Birthday To Me
As I am turning 29 years old today I thought it would be nice to list 29 things I achieved in 29 years. Firstly, I am grateful to the Almighty God for being able to see another year. Grateful for all that He has blessed me with and His continued grace and mercy. This post is not to brag or boast about the material things I have, but to share a little about myself in the hope that it can motivate someone else.
As a child growing up, things were never handed down to me. Life was not an easy road. I had to work very hard to accomplish the things I wanted. We were not poor but we were not rich either. For most of my earlier years, my father was the sole provider while my stepmother at the time ensured we were taken care of. Although my father worked as a taxi driver for many years, it still provided food on the table and met our basic necessities.
During my teenage years, there were things that my father did financially for my sisters that he didn’t do for me. I used to consider myself the unlucky one. Yes, I love my father but this is one of the tough realities I had to face at a young age.
Soon enough I developed a habit of speaking positive things over my life, even when it didn’t make sense. In down times I used to sit in a corner and talk to myself. I said things like “one day I would make my parents proud”.
Present Day: 29 Years Later
Twenty-nine years later, looking back now has made me realize that my struggles made me who I am today. Strong minded, intelligent, out-spoken, reliable and hard-working. Achieving things on my own also helped me to be more appreciative and content with what I have.
- I came to the conclusion that the more unsupportive people were of me and my goals, the harder I worked towards proving them wrong.
- Proud to say that everything I have today I worked my ass off for and it wasn’t earned without a struggle.
- If I had a chance to start over I would not have it any other way!
- Go after your dreams even when it looks possible.
- Don’t let your current circumstances determine where your life will lead.
- Always speak good things over your life.
- Do what you love. Keep praying, believing and working towards achieving it.
- Use your struggle as a motivating factor for success.
29 Things I Experienced in 29 Years – Both Good & Bad:
- Completed High School
- Did Secretarial & Business Courses
- Obtained a job
- Learned to cook
- Opened a Boutique
- Started my Blog
- Lived abroad
- Saved money
- Bought things I only dreamt of having
- Took salsa classes
- Learned 2 foreign languages
- Started a workout routine
- Learned to drive
- Been hiking
- Met new people
- Made friends
- Got in & out of debt
- Learned to be patient
- Self love
- Sadness & Happiness
- Failure & Success
- Heartbreak & Love
- Setbacks & Comebacks
- Checked things off my bucket list
- Found my passion
- Overcame hardships
- Adopted cats (only have 1 now)